14 Aug All You Need To Know About Serums
We say that “good things come in small packages”. Something similar is also true for serums. A serum is smaller in size than a cream, but much more expensive. However, it is the most active cosmetic. Clinical research shows that, depending on its ingredients, it has more spectacular effects than a cream: it clears the fine lines faster, smooths deep wrinkles, tightens the skin, reduces discolorations and reduces signs of aging while giving you a glow you desire. In other words, a serum offers so many benefits to the skin as no other cosmetic.
Why is it more expensive than a cream?
Serums have ingredients that are able to penetrate as deeply as possible into the skin, so they must have a low molecular weight. The lower the molecular weight, the more complex and costly it is to process it, which increases the total cost of the product. The serum is generally composed of low molecular weight active ingredients, which is why it is an expensive cosmetic. However, it is value for money, that is, it’s worth its money up to the last drop: 2-3 drops, morning and evening, are more than enough to offer maximum results. So the amount of the 30 ml bottle can keep us for months.
Is the serum for everyone?
Most formulations are suitable for each type of skin and are adapted to the needs of any age from 30 years of age. However, this is not always the case. When, for example, our skin is very sensitive, has eczema or rosacea, then more care is needed, because the serum, as a thin-layer composition that is, immediately penetrates the fragile outer layer of the skin. That’s why we avoid formulations with active ingredients, such as retinol, and we prefer those with tonic and palliative ingredients, such as aloe vera, zinc and fatty acids, which strengthen the epidermal barrier.
Also, mature skins, as well as dehydrated, need rich hydration, which only day or night creams can offer. In these cases, therefore, the serum functions as a valuable addition to the daily routine that dramatically increases the effects of the cream. On the other hand, precisely because of the absence of lipids and rich nutrients, the serum (anti-aging, firming, etc.) is the salvage solution for the greasy skin that cannot withstand heavy formulations.
According to dermatologists, the serum dramatically increases the positive effects of a cream, but can not replace it.
The ingredients of an effective serum
Hydration agents: The most common is low molecular weight hyaluronic acid. Others are amino acids and fatty acids that strengthen the cell membrane.
– Strengthening ingredients: Zinc, arnica, aloe vera are the top soothing ingredients that neutralize redness and irritation.
– Anti-aging substances: Retinol, polypeptides, resveratrol, which stimulate fibroblasts and prolong cell life.
– Antioxidant elements: Vitamins C and E, polyphenols, flavonoids protect collagen fibers from oxidation and premature aging.
– Pectic substances: Make the texture of the serum more enjoyable and easier to apply.
The necessary conditions of use
– Be Pleasant: That is, it does not stick to the skin but must be absorbed immediately.
– Moisturize but at the same time be light and thin: A serum should be able to be used even in the summer and fit on any type of skin, even in combination or oily, without dropping or producing greasy acne.
– Provides freshness, shine and tightening to the skin, faster than a cream.
What to avoid
– Ethyl alcohol in excess, because it can cause dehydration. How do we understand that it is enough? The serum will give off the characteristic smell of alcohol.
– Fragrance: According to European legislation, 26 fragrances are considered suspicious, so it is good to avoid the serums containing them.
How it is used
1. After you cleanse your face, put 2-3 drops of serum in your palm and spread them until they are absorbed.
2. If you have sensitive skin, after cleansing, wait 10-15 minutes before applying the serum.
TIP: When spreading your serum, do not forget the neck, neckline and hands.
If you don’t have a serum then don’t worry! Get the Cellular Repair Serum and start seeing results!